This Page

has been moved to new address

Bigger Picture Moment: Are you there God it's me Brook?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bigger Picture Moment: Are you there God it's me Brook?

I have been avoiding this topic for a while now. Mostly because it's been drilled into me to never talk about politics or religion in mixed company. You don't want to unintentionally offend someone.

And...to be honest I don't know enough about either topic to have a highly educated debate. Especially when it comes to religion.

I was raised old school Lutheran. The fire and brimstone type. Always preaching that I'm a sinner and doing things wrong. At the age of five I didn't understand. I was good all week according my standards, no lying, no hitting, doing my chores, etc. So why is this guy at church telling me I'm bad? I just didn't get it.

Years later I attended a nondenominational church with music and fan fair. I remember liking it as a kid, but early morning Sundays were not my thing.

Eventually, dad found a Methodist church he liked. It was ok, but it was still church. Early Sundays, long sermons, sitting and being still. Not much fun for a kid.

By the time I was in High School, dad let me decide whether I wanted to go. I chose to stay home and he chose to go.

That Methodist church was his beacon till he died.

I on the other hand never became a churchy sort of person. I was married in a church, but neither of my kids are baptised and we don't do anything on Sundays but watch football and hang out in our PJs.

Recently, though I've been asking questions about Faith.

That it means to believe in something.

As I ask these questions and throw them out to the heavens, I sometimes receive an answer.

Like on Monday.

I've been having a hard time at work. So much so that I wasn't sure it was a place where I should stay. All signs were saying "give up". Finally, I just raised my hands to they sky and said "Please, please just let me know that everything will be ok. That I can stay in this job and be happy."

I wasn't making bargains. I wasn't wishing for something. I was just asking for guidance.

And immediately it appeared.

I ended up giving two tours of our retirement community and signing a lease that day.

The mood shifted, and my load was lightened.

I'll admit I'm not ready to give up my lazy Sunday mornings, and you probably won't see me breaking out a Bible anytime soon, but my faith is growing a little bit each day.

And if God knows me as well as I think he does, He knows how much I appreciated His help this week even if I don't go to church on Sundays.



 
We're seeing the Bigger Picture through simple moments -- moments that force us to stop and take notice of the ways our worlds are important, meaningful, and beautiful. Please join us here today! 

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 , Blogger This Heavenly Life said...

What a blessing, Brook! I'm so glad you threw a line out, not knowing what to expect.

God is like that, too -- always extending a line to us, willing to be left hanging...all for the chance of *maybe* :)

 
At January 26, 2012 , Blogger Lenae said...

Draw near to Him, and He'll draw near to you -- it's one of my favorite promises in Scripture, and it made me smile to read about how He reached out and squeezed your hand this week.

 
At January 26, 2012 , Blogger Alita said...

I grew up in a strict Catholic household. I went to church every Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. I went on saint days. I went on holidays. I went.... went... went... all the time. I went to Catholic school and Catholic college. And I STILL consider myself catholic, but...

But...

I don't go to church as much as I should. I like lazy Sunday afternoons and football games. We go when we feel the need or when we feel the guilt. I feel the same as you about church even though I have a close relationship with God.

I say... listen to your heart. It is the holy spirit telling you what to do. Don't listen to guilt and don't listen to what others try to tell you about what you should be doing.

I say... I loved this post. I get it. I'm faithful, but I'm not really a part of the church anymore. Sometimes it makes me sad, but other times it brings me so much closer to God.

xo!
alita

 
At January 26, 2012 , Blogger Adrienne said...

LOVE the post. LOVE LOVE LOVE the comments. Spent from 20-45 going to church 3-4 times a week. Go much less now, and seem to hear God more clearly. I wonder if the words/bands etc. that are there to help connect us don't end up distracting us or drowning out our voice and God's voice. This is a beautiful example of God reaching right into your life! Thanks for this!

 
At January 26, 2012 , Blogger Jade @ Tasting Grace said...

I'm thinking that maybe questions of spirituality and faith are never easy questions, at least not to those who *really* ask them. Sometimes answers come easily, sometimes they don't. But the questions themselves are hard and they reach deep.

But I think the really fabulous part is the fact that you are on the journey and listening for answers. And I love your bravery for posting this. We may differ in our beliefs, but I wish more people would, like you, extend enough trust to have such a conversation. Differences should not divide us, but rather help us understand ourselves and each other that much better. So thank you for that. I wish you all the best on your journey in faith.

 
At January 27, 2012 , Blogger Hyacynth said...

Ah, fire and brimstone. I hear you, friend. I hear what your heart is saying. But I love that God spoke into your life this week in a way that was anything but fire and brimstone; rather, it was the loving, tending, caring hand of a Father who says, I'm with you. I don't care about the messes; my son covered those. But I do care about you and me knowing each other.
That's what I felt the spirit pressing into my mind as I read this.
You are wonderful, and you are beautiful. And He loves you and knows your grateful heart.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home